L-5-MTHF, 60 Caps
L-5-MTHF is the activated form of folate, necessary for patients who have an MTHFR mutation such that they cannot adequately activate folate from food.
Caution: If you have more than one MTHFR mutation, you may not be able to handle this high a dose all at once. Detox reactions can occur (because certain enzymatic "machinery" that didn't work well before is suddenly overloaded). If you experience this:
- Stop the MTHF for 1-2 weeks, until you feel better
- Add in some extended release niacin (50-100 mg daily - you may have to cut them because they tend to come in 250 mg per cap). Niacin binds methyl groups and also increases the breakdown of glutamate (excitatory).
- Add some vitamin B6 (50-100 mg, which will convert glutamate to GABA).
- Add in hydroxycobalamin (1000 mcg).
- Anti-inflammatory herbs like curcumin to quench some of the excess inflammation.
- Minimize your leafy greens until things die down bc those contain methylfolate and nitrates.
- Make sure electrolyte packets daily (or electrolyte water) since methylfolate increases cell division and can lead to electrolyte deficiencies (and you were already set up for those).
- Once symptoms calm down, go back on the 5MTHF again.
Recommended Dose: 1 cap daily if well tolerated.
Serving Size: 2 capsules
Amount Per Serving:
Folate ... 1000mcg
Other Ingredients: Microcrystalline cellulose, spinach juice powder, L-leucine.
Does not contain Gluten.
We Also Recommend